The split between North and West Vancouver was amicable-even as terms were discussed the North Shore Council approved a by-law for $100,000 to improve Keith Road and to build Marine Drive. Charles Nelson was elected first Reeve (Mayor) and the first Municipal Hall was built at a cost of $3500. At separation, West Vancouver assumed $156,000 of North Vancouver’s debt of $54,300,000 (a heavy load for a population of 700). The debt was accumulated for development costs and services. By the end of 1912 the school population was 44. The Council tried to encourage industry (fish canneries, logging). The Clachan hotel is built by the Stevenson sisters at the east side of 25th Street and the waterfront. David Rogers built a timber mill above McNairs upper camp and the Walking Dudley’s track was extended to serve the mill.
- About Us
- Events & News